Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Friend In Need


I leave my cell phone on silent at night, waking up curiously each morning to messages from late-night-texters. However, being a fairly light sleeper, if someone calls me in the middle of the night... then I'm almost always awaken by the vibrating of my phone.
Someone, who I have yet to identify, called me a few nights ago and told me they had a dream that we were drowning and needed to check to make sure I was okay.
Someone called me a few weeks ago (11 times!) to see if I could get them into a bar, assuming I was there. Someone called me on Friday night to see if I was working, and was extremely apologetic for waking me up.
I got into an arguement with my parents about it, who can't even comprehend why I would have my cell phone anywhere near me while I sleep. "My best friends wouldn't call if it wasn't important! What if one of my friends needed to talk? Like, really badly?" My weak comeback fell on deaf ears.

Usually, I don't answer, but it's nights like last night that I'm reminded why I don't just stick my phone under a pillow.
"Hannah, I don't know what to do. I'm not happy..."

I'll probably delete this.

3 comments:

c├Ątu . said...

i do the same every night, and my dad tells me all the time that it's not good for me and not to take long phone calls and so on . so i feel your problem , but a very good story : )

w0witsalana said...

i love waking up to text messages, haha.
but honestly, the worst is when it's like 2 am and your sooo tired and just had the most dramatic night ever, and you're waiting for someone to call you about a life or death situation but you fall asleep and wake up seeing that you missed it and knowing that you can't exactly call them back 'cause they left the country... haha sorry mad ranting but actually it sucks

Merrill M said...

The very same thing happened to me two nights ago.

A good friend of mine was stuck in a situation she she didn't want to be in.

Naturally, I jumped out of bed hopped in the car and went to rescue her. Not because it was convenient or near my house, but I think we all know how it feels to be somewhere that you don't want to be.

You keep your phone on for the ones you love, just in case.