Not to brag, but I have been known to make a mean batch of cookies.
I decided to bake a big batch of cut-out sugar cookies to decorate this holiday - but they could not just be your typical Christmas cookie. I want something chewy, delicious and so unforgettable that my family will be begging me to make them again next year.
I researched and customized a recipe to produce something absolutely epic and I'm going to share it with you.
- 1 cup unsalted real butter
- 8oz. of cream cheese (key!)
- 1 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, butter, cream cheese, salt, almond and vanilla extracts, and egg yolk. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour until well blended. Chill the dough for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 1/3 at a time to 1/8 inch thickness, refrigerating remaining dough until ready to use. Cut into desired shapes with lightly floured cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light and golden brown. Cool cookies completely before frosting.